Good news crossed the wires yesterday: UberTwitter got an update. It seems highly appropriate timing, as we ranked the BlackBerry Twitter apps yesterday, and UberTwitter finished atop the pack. Their new release brings a number of features to the table. There might not be as many as in previous updates, but each has a purpose. It also includes a new photo sharing partnership with TweetPhoto. It also adds a shortcut for exiting the application, which is good for anyone who is confused by the presence of both Close and Exit options in the menu.
- TweetPhoto.com Support – TweetPhoto is now the default photo sharing service. We have fully integrated TweetPhoto’s extensive feature list in such a way that it naturally flows with many of the features already available. Favoriting a tweet that includes a TweetPhoto will also favorite the photo on TweetPhoto, deleting a tweet with a TweetPhoto will also delete the TweetPhoto, replying to a tweet with a TweetPhoto will include that reply in the comment stream on TweetPhoto.com, and viewing a photo in UberTwitter will also register the view on TweetPhoto. You can view all of the comments on a TweetPhoto in one place in UberTwitter and, of course, we fully integrated our geolocation capabilities.
- Email forwarding – You can now forward a tweet directly to email
- Visual Icon Notification – For newer devices we provide a visual homescreen icon which you can configure to display for either new tweets, new replies/mentions, new direct messages or any combination of the three.
- Enter to Send – You now have the option to enable pressing ENTER in the compose tweet screen to send the tweet.
- Search Bug – we fixed a nasty bug which prevented many of you from using the search capability
- Modified the timeline retrieval logic to account for cases where tweets might not get retrieved if Twitter was experiencing intermittent tweet delivery delays.
- Exiting App SHIFT-x will now exit the application from any timeline screen
- Link Shortcut – SHIFT- l will now retrieve any embedded URL in a tweet
- A link to the original tweet on twitter.com is now included when you copy or email a tweet
- Advertisements are now not retrieved when the application is in the background, helping battery life.
- We’ve added a refresh on the Friends and Followers lists
- We’ve made the followers, friends, updates ‘active’ regions when viewing a tweet. You can click these to directly view those items instead of having to go through the menu.
- We added a warning when adding a photo to a direct message as it may allow others to view the message through the photo service.
- Added reply all shortcut when viewing a tweet
- Added a workaround for a change Twitter made to the Everyone Near You capability
And, as always, a list of what to expect in the next round of updates:
- Integration of tweet longer capability so you can send THAT MUCH MORE!
- Integration into the BlackBerry browser such that URLs can be included directly in a tweet from the browser menu.
- Saved searches – integrate the new Twitter saved search API. Searches saved via the Twitter web site will be useable on ÜberTwitter and vice versa
- Twitter name menu – Type ‘@’ and a list of your friends automatically pops up allowing selection
You can buy the ad-free version of UberTwitter for $4.99. That’s a one-year subscription cost which entitles you to free upgrades. If you can stomach the ads, you can get the free version.