San Diego was abuzz on Sunday about the Smart-Phone article in the Union Tribune while the Chargers winning the last game of the season for the NFL AFC West Championship helped as well.
Jonathan Sidener wrote Calling Up the Competition in the San Diego Union Tribune on Sunday December 28th where he points out the phones competing for the iPhone market share.
The G1 was of course included and he interviewed me for my thoughts due to Google And Blog and being a San Diego resident with a G1.
For Google phone enthusiast and San Diego resident Michael Martin, the mobile Internet delivered on the touch screen of his G1 provides game-changing features, literally.
“I downloaded Google Scoreboard,” Martin said. “I’m originally from New England. Last weekend, I was watching the Chargers game, but I got alerts when the Patriots game began and every time they scored.”
He said he frequently uses the phone’s mobile maps and directions features and the Internet music channel imeem.
The article went on to say about the G1 that, “You’ll never get to eBay if you’re typing in eBoy. The G1′s touch screen, trackball and hardware keyboard create a best-in-class Web-surfing experience.” as he privately told me he loves the G1 review phone he has and glad he got to keep it for an extended time.
Also encouraging is Digitimes Research estimating over the weekend that between 5 to 8 million Android phones will be sold in 2009 as this will account for almost 10% of the global market – China being a HEAVY consumer of the open and free Android mobile platform.
Going on a bit of a tangent in regards to using the Google Scoreboard application and the last week of regular season football this past weekend:
- Amazing how the New England Patriots won 11 games WITHOUT Tom Brady and major components of the team, but yet not make the playoffs – only the 2nd time in the history of the NFL a team with 11 wins did NOT make the playoffs.
- I would have loved to see how Matt Cassell would have played for the New England Patriots in the playoffs to truly assess his value and progression
- If Sammy Morris was not injured for the Super Bowl last year I am confident the Patriots would have won.
- It pained me to be a JETS fan this weekend since the Patriots NEEDED them to win to make the playoffs themselves – as Eric Mangini failed yet again and justly got fired today.
- Brett Favre has always been the most overrated quarterback – even when younger, the ONE Super Bowl he won has due in large part to Desmond Howard returning nearly every kick for a touchdown (against my beloved Patriots back in 1997)
- The San Diego Chargers made a great season comeback in large part to the maturing of Philip Rivers, LT stepping up & NOT because of but IN SPITE OF head coach Norv Turner.
- If the Chargers beat the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday then my prediction is that San Diego will have its first Super Bowl campion on February 1st, 2009 when they beat the Carolina Panthers.