Google announced back on Monday April 14th that the next Android release 1.5 will be based on the CupCake branch which includes the much sought after improvements most have been waiting for.
I wanted to digest this Cupcake and how it actually “cooks” inside a G1 when ported over before posting.
Here are some of the recent conclusions I and others have had on the G1 with the current Android 1.5 SDK:
- The on screen keyboard is a nice to have for SHORT inputs, anything of length I just feel the need for the full on real deal keyboard of the G1
- The widgets are a nice add on as the current public demand is for more widget customization and theme skinning
- The stereo Bluetooth works like a champ
- Video recording works sufficiently but I really don’t see using it over a decent digital camera
- Browser seems a bit faster and smoother – I was expecting marketable improvements with the improved browser engine
- Battery life seems marginally improved as I would hope that T-Mobile realizes it needs to move forward with providing an improved battery for its customers that I know its been internally debating since last year.
The main improvements contained within the Android 1.5 CupCake Release include:
- New Linux kernel version 2.6.27
- System wide refinement of all core user interface elements
- Animated window transitions
- Accelerometer based application rotations
- Faster camera startup and image capturing
- Direct upload of photo to Picasa
- Faster acquisition of GPS location – I know for me this took FOREVER
- On-screen soft keyboard
- Home screen widgets
- Live folders
- Video recording & playback in MPEG-4 or 3GP formats
- Direct upload of videos to YouTube – I think will be a often used feature
- Stereo Bluetooth support of both A2DP & AVCRP profiles plus auto-pairing
- Copy & Paster within the browser
- Specific Date & Time stamp in call log – ANOTHER Thank God improvement
Overall it meets my expectations and curious to how it will be once HTC stabilizes it for both the G1 & G2.
Of course most important is WHEN it will be released as an OTA update for the current G1 owners as my sense is it will be around April 26th, 2009.