Owners of the And Dev 1 Phone (ADP) are not able to access paid Android applications but can view the reviews of them here on GAB FrAppDay for free. ADP owners don’t have the 1.1 Android system that was included in the recent RC33 update to US G1 owners, which is needed to access the paid applications on the Android Market.
UK G1 owners are in the same predicament as there has been no reliable information when they will get their equivalent update as of yet. The reason for the delay has been speculated to be due to a hack that can be exploited on these Android developer phones which provide direct root access.
This root access opens the possibility that a paid Android application can be moved from normally hidden system folder to somewhere else, then get their money back as part of the Android Market 24 hour refund policy, and simply replace the application back – so in essence getting it for free. This has been demonstrated last week here, as this can be applied by those with an “illegally” unlocked G1 with root access, but not by those purchasing the legal means to have root access – for some reason this echoes of similarity to the American immigration policy.
Google Android Engineers, such as Jean-Baptiste Queru stated publicly in Google Groups that they are working hard on making official 1.1 system images available to ADP1 owners on the original 116222 build, summing it up by saying, “You have no idea about the amount of pain that we’re going through to get an update out for the ADP1“.
JBQ also shed some interesting light about having apps on the SD drive stating, “shipping on time was deemed more important than implementing apps on external storage“. So with that being said, Antonio Wells of AndroidTapp provided the following paid Android app reviews for free and accessible to those with ADP1:
- PhonePlus Callback is a great utility for the G1 or Android powered phone. It allows you to send an SMS Text or Email message when receiving a call and various notifications to call back. Great when in meetings, on the other line, driving, or just plain busy.
- Air Hockey is an awesome app that brings realistic air hockey to Android. The better you get the tougher the computer opponent gets.
- The Gube 3D Rubik’s Cube brings the past time of a challenge from the classic Rubik’s cube Android-style. Control the 3D environment to solve the puzzle.
- TeleNav GPS Navigator offers turn-by-turn GPS navigation for the G1 or Android powered phone. Although the app is free and you can get a free trial for 30 days, the service is $9.99 per month. Cellular data plan required in addition.
Price: Free, Service $9.99/month
- Guitar Hero World Tour offers a mobile version of the popular video game. You get 15 tracks to rock out to, plus a bonus track.
- Texas Hold’em brings the popular casino-style game to your G1 or Android powered phone. Even better you can multi-play with other online users or local play only.
- QuickOffice for Android allows you to view Word and Excel documents from your SD Card. (Please note viewer only, you be the judge whether you can afford an $8 viewer.)
- Contacts Grid allows you to view your contacts in a thumbnail grid. One tapp shows the contact details, long-press to call the contact.